The Fulton Pump Station is one of two pump stations that supply drinking water to Portland Water Bureau’s (PWB’s) Burlingame Service Area. The original pump station was built in 1912 and has been expanded several times to its current maximum capacity. Much of the original buried piping around the station is now over 100 years old. The goal of this project was to replace the aging facilities in support of PWB’s mission of providing reliable water service to customers, as well as being responsible stewards of the public’s water infrastructure.
Murraysmith completed designs for the replacement of the existing 12 mgd Fulton Pump Station with a new station that has the ability to expand to 18 mgd to meet 2025 projected water demands. The new pump station, named the Hannah Mason pump station, is sited within the City’s Willamette Park. Designs accommodated expanded pumping capacity and incorporated provisions for public restrooms and storage, as well as the latest in Green Building Policy and eco-roof design, effectively integrating the new station into existing park surroundings.
These features, in conjunction with the new station’s proximity to pedestrian traffic and its prominence in Willamette Park, are intended to fulfill the PWB’s desire to make water supply system features more visible and accessible to the public, educating the community as to how adequate quantities of high-quality drinking water are delivered to household taps.